Introduction and Aims
Beadlow Manor Hotel and Golf Club is a hospitality business, comprised of two golf courses spanning over 307 acres within the area of Beadlow. Our main services are hotelier, food and beverage, conferencing and administration. We recognise that our operations result in pollution to air, water, and soil and cause the generation of waste.
At Beadlow Manor, we are committed to providing a quality service for our members and the general public in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees, whilst minimising our potential impact on the environment. We will operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and we will strive to protect our local environment and the species it supports.
Wildlife and Nature Conservation:
- Understand the importance of preserving the natural habitat of our local environment, previously utilised as arable land,
- Promote and maximise the biodiversity value of the wildlife and habitats of the golf courses,
- Employ a cautious approach to water management to ensure that protected species such as Great Crested Newt and Water Vole are not negatively impacted by the management of our ponds and waterways,
- Employ a cautious approach when carrying out building maintenance and pest control to ensure that any unknown roosting bats are not negatively affected,
- Set out food sources, such as bird feeders and potted plants, to support local wildlife including various bird species and insects.
- Restrict our cutting to 6 foot off of ground level when raising the canopy and only remove trees when absolutely necessary, for example, when they become a danger or they are hindering the growth of the turf,
- Coordinate external advice and contractors regarding pest control when invasive species rise over the tolerance threshold,
- Dredge all waterways once a month through the spring, summer and autumn seasons and once in the winter, particularly focusing on those that are vulnerable to siltation.
- Recognise that water is a valuable resource and ensure that all water use is carried out in line with current environmental legislation,
- Irrigate based on weather conditions, observed ground conditions and turf conditions,
- Responsibly use water from the Borehole supplied to us, which we have a restriction on, or otherwise source water from our on-site reservoir which has the access for water to enter our irrigation system.
- Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout our facility including electricity, particularly those that are non-renewable,
- Preserve energy by ensuring that all light switches and machinery utilised within the buildings are switched off when not in use.
- Consider environmental issues and in response create effective management schemes to help lessen the impacts we cause,
- Reduce the generation of waste through re-use and recycling,
- Provide multiple recycling bins around our premises to encourage our members and customers to support Beadlow Manor in creating a more sustainable business,
- Dispose of printer ink cartridges in an environmentally responsible manner,
- Ensure that waste is collected and disposed of by authorised contractors.
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of,
- Where required by legislation or where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exist, develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response programmes,
- Analyse and alter the environmental conditions relating to each tee and green on the golf course to minimise the occurrence of pests and diseases, e.g. nutrient status, thatch levels, shading of the turf and air movement),
- We will agree ‘damage thresholds’ (e.g. percentage cover of a tee or green) below which level pests or diseases will be tolerated,
- Only licensed applicators of Pesticides are permitted to use and maintain spraying equipment and materials,
- Monitor soil conditions on a regular/yearly basis to understand soil nourishment and profile make-up. This in turn will allow the greens management to take the necessary action to help reduce pest activity which will therefore reduce the amount of chemical use there is on the turf in the long term.
- Purchase and use environmentally responsible products, for example paper from environmentally sustainable woodlands (FSC certified),
- We will try to minimise packaging where possible and look for packaging which is recycled or can easily be recycled.
Beadlow Manor Hotel and Golf Club commit to
- Providing a safe and pleasant working environment for all our staff,
- Taking a proactive approach to constantly improve our environmental situation,
- Enhancing the natural environment of both our golf courses for the benefit of both golfers and wildlife,
- Conserving energy and water and to reduce waste in the clubhouse, hotel and golf course,
- Promoting wider environmental change by careful choice of products and services,
- Integrating the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities.
- Promoting environmental awareness among our employees and encouraging them to work in an environmentally responsible manner,
- Providing training to educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work,
- Encouraging both our members and the general public that visit our premises to support our vision for a sustainable future,
- Reminding members of the energy savings that can be made through simple behavioural changes by posting signage in the locker rooms.
Beadlow Manor also endorses specific environmental objectives under six target areas: wildlife and nature conservation; water resources; energy conservation; waste management; chemical use; purchasing policy.